Cynon Valley Museum is delighted to be launching ‘Cynon Valley Museum Winter Art Club’ in partnership with RCT Arts and Creative Industries, as part of the Winter of Wellbeing.
These events taking place on a weekly basis throughout February and March will bring a range of free art sessions, focusing on different art activities and forms, delivered by artists. The project has been created to support and improve the health and wellbeing of children and young people in the Cynon Valley.
Tuesdays – Art Adventures in Aberdare (6-week course):
Go on an art adventure with artist Gayle Rogers at your side. Explore your creativity, experiment with new ideas, and have fun. An art adventure inspired by the museum’s collection of artefacts & stories that you can make your own. Discover a different adventure each week from map-making to comic creating, portrait drawing to the art of paper folding. Let your creativity wander in the museum’s wonderland and be inspired!
Art Adventurers in Aberdare is aimed at children 7 and 16 but we welcome younger children as part of family groups and request that no child 16 or younger is unaccompanied without a parent/guardian (1 responsible person per 4 children). Please let us know if there are any additional needs you may require to participate in the Cynon Valley Art Club.
- Tuesday 15th Feb 10:30am – 12:30pm
- Tuesday 1st March 10:30am – 12:30pm
- Tuesday 8th March 10:30am – 12:30pm
- Tuesday 15th March 10:30am – 12:30pm
- Tuesday 22nd March 10:30am – 12:30pm
- Tuesday 29th March 10:30am – 12:30pm
To book onto this course, please follow this link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/art-adventures-in-aberdare-anturiaethau-celf-yn-aberdar-tickets-261202984157
Saturdays – Cynon Valley Art Club (6-week course):
Join artist Anna Massey for six weeks of art-inspired fun as you find which artefacts in the museum inspire your imagination, what could imagine these artefacts were for? What stories could they tell?
Maybe you choose the Nos Galan torch and imagine running as fast as the wind breaking the record for this famous 5km race, or perhaps you examine the miners’ lamp and wonder how it felt deep underground with only the glow of a lamplight to guide your way.
Cynon Valley Art Club is for ages 8-12 and parents and guardians are asked to stay for the duration of the event. Please let us know if there is any additional needs you may require to participate in the Cynon Valley Art Club.
- Week 1 – Saturday 12th February, 1-3pm: Explore the exhibition and discuss, make notes and doodles and explore your ideas
- Weeks 2,3 and 4 – Saturday 19th Feb, 5th March, 12th March – 1-3pm: Start sketching your ideas and explorations, imagine what your final works will look like, what do the artefacts make you feel, what stories can you tell using charcoal, watercolour and collage?
- Weeks 5/6 – Saturday 19th March and 26th March, 1-3pm: Time to create your finance pieces using acrylic on canvas or mixed media.
To book onto this course, please follow this link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cynon-valley-art-club-clwb-celf-cwm-cynon-tickets-261449611827
February Half Term Workshop
‘My Object, Your Story’ – ‘Fy Ngwrthrych, Eich Stori’ (Sculpture Workshops – 2 days)
A fun and thought-provoking workshop run by Artist Amber Mottram.
A 2-day project where participants will delve deeper into some of the objects on display at Cynon Valley Museum as together we look beyond historical synopsis and engage with the objects as pieces of art. Participants will be encouraged to consider seeing objects in a new light and collaboratively re-imagine them through an open, fun, and creative sculpture-making session.
These workshops will involve an aspect of note-taking, teamwork, creative play, construction, research, and presentation. Each participant will leave with a long-lasting understanding of one or more pieces from the collection and a handmade sculpture to take home.
The sessions will take place from 10am – 2pm at Cynon Valley Museum for children. Children will need to bring lunch with them.
- Tuesday 22nd February 10am – 2pm – This session is for participants aged 8 -12 years. Book your place here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/my-object-your-story-fy-ngwrthrych-eich-stori-sculpture-workshops-tickets-265016450337?aff=ebdsoporgprofile
- Thursday 24th February 10am – 2pm – This session is for participants aged 12 -18 years. Book your place here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/my-object-your-story-fy-ngwrthrych-eich-stori-sculpture-workshops-tickets-265074122837?aff=ebdsoporgprofile
Please ensure you book for the correct age group. Do not attend if the child or anyone else in the household has symptoms of Covid-19.
Mini Museums of Happiness (Aged 8 – 12)
Join us this March and make your very own mini-museum of happiness! Join artist Anna Massey to create a tiny exhibition of objects, pictures and drawings that represent the things, activities, people, and places that make you feel good. What would put in your museum?
Parents/guardians need to stay with children.
Saturday 5th March, 10:00am – 12pm: Book your ticket here – Mini Museums of Happiness (Age8-12 Oed)/Amgueddfeydd Bach Hapusrwydd Tickets, Sat 5 Mar 2022 at 10:00 | Eventbrite
Saturday 19th March, 10:00am – 12pm: Book your ticket here – Mini Museums of Happiness (Age8-12 Oed)/Amgueddfeydd Bach Hapusrwydd Tickets, Sat 19 Mar 2022 at 10:00 | Eventbrite
Saturday 26th March, 10:00am – 12pm: Book your ticket here – Mini Museums of Happiness (Age8-12 Oed)/Amgueddfeydd Bach Hapusrwydd Tickets, Sat 26 Mar 2022 at 10:00 | Eventbrite
For further information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org