The Cynon Valley Museum Trust following the end of Wales’ second lockdown has set a proposed opening date for the museum for Saturday 21st November, marking an important point in the museum’s journey towards reopening.
Reopening Cynon Valley Museum
As we monitor the current pandemic climate, the museum will temporarily function in a different capacity to that which we all know and love. These changes will enable us to adapt to the situation in a way which allows us to maintain our services to the community, whilst assessing and responding to the ongoing risk of coronavirus to all visitors and staff. The initial changes are as follows:
- Our opening hours will be reduced to 11am – 4pm to allow for increased cleaning in the mornings before we open.
- The museum will initially only open on Saturday 21st, then three days the following week Thursday 26th, Friday 27th & Saturday 28th. The Museum will review opening times.
- Only the ground floor will be open to the public, this includes the lower temporary gallery and permanent gallery. Unfortunately, due to the building layout we are unable to open the 1st floor to the public.
- The museum team has been working hard to prepare the museum for reopening. We’ve invested in new shop furniture thanks to the Hallmarks Grant by the Association of Independent Museums and have installed, Perspex screens at the front desk, hand sanitisers, at the entrance, café and permanent gallery and instigated a one way system in the permanent and lower galleries.
- Each space will have a maximum capacity, due to this queuing may be necessary outside of the museum.
- The Museum will be collecting data essential for “Test, Trace, Protect” as per government guidance. This can be either done through scanning the NHS QR code or by filling out a form on your arrival.
- All visitors will be asked to follow government guidance to ensure the safety of the public, volunteers and staff including the wearing of masks. Please follow the link for our guidance on visiting the museum.
- Please be respectful of the differnt needs of visitors, volutneers and staff. We are all in this together.
Support your Local Shops
Shop stockists have been busy bringing in new stock ready for our reopening. Supporting local artists, crafters and artisans is at the core of who we are. Reopening the Museums’ shop will be crucial to supporting the recovery of both the museum and our cultural community within the Cynon Valley. Supporting your local shops supports both the local economy and the people of the Cynon Valley.
From the Cynon Valley Museum
The Trust is delighted to have a date to work towards reopening. However, circumstances may change in-line with the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and should the need arise, a decision regarding the safety of visitors and staff will be made at the earliest opportunity.
Please keep checking our website and social media pages for regular updates, online exhibitions and your chance to support YOUR museum.
This year has been unprecedented, if you can support your museum through this difficult time, please consider making a donation. Click here to make a monthly or one of donation to the museum.